Earth Care & Sustainability
Mission and Goals of Earth Care Ministry
To respond to the PCUSA General Assembly’s “Call to Restore Creation” by becoming a certified Earth Care Congregation, inspiring our members and colleagues to become careful stewards working to restore balance and sustainability to the Earth for the preservation of all life forms and for future generations.
- Carry on the long Presbyterian tradition of Earth care and reawakening the creation-centered spirituality tradition of our Celtic ancestors, recognizing the Earth as sacred, drawing on the wisdom of other faith traditions, and recognizing ourselves as interconnected with all Creation;
- Providing educational opportunities, relying on scientific research to understand the damage and threats to the Earth, and providing resources and avenues for reimagining active participation in the healing process;
- Working toward making our church facilities and our homes and our communities environmentally sound and energy efficient;
- Advocating for change through public policy and programs and coordinating with established organizations protecting the environment and with those promoting peace and eco-justice for all people;
- Exploring and cherishing the world around us with wonder and gratitude.
First Pres earned earned the designation of Earth Care Congregation from PCUSA in 2015. A Green Team was formed to plan and execute activities and programs and keep the congregation informed of new movements and environmental needs.
What We Do
Our Green Team pools its resources with other organizations and participates in the activities of Hoosier Interfaith Power and Light, Sierra Club, Little Rivers Wetlands, Fort Wayne Parks and others along with our own initiatives.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
An Earth Care area is located in the Small Dining Room. It includes:
- recycling bins for small electronics and aluminum cans
- bins for donation of clothing for kids and toiletries for the homeless
- a center for finding current information on local organizations and their activities and programs
- petitions to be signed, when available,
- information on movements, contact information for government officials and national environmental organizations,
- a source for picking up reusable and recycled items.